Thursday, May 30, 2013

Well Paris, I guess this is goodbye.

I honestly don't know what to say. I think I'm still just in shock that this semester is over already. I mean it makes sense. I've done quite a lot of stuff in 4 1/2 months, it just still is hard to believe I'm in Paris, which makes it even harder to believe that I'm actually leaving Paris. But I feel like I should say something since this is probably the last blog post that I will write while actually abroad (since my computer charger is broken and I had to return the replacement one to the Apple store earlier so I don't end up with a charger with a European plug... long story. You'll hear about it eventually.) and I should somehow document this whole leaving thing. Probably. I don't actually know the rules for this whole "blogging abroad" thing so I might be wrong. But it goes...

Paris, I'd be lying if I said every second of these past 5ish months were great. They weren't. Sometimes after one to many rides on the metro or just after too much time together, I started to hate you and everyone associated with you (aka Parisians. blech.) and I would go hide away in my room for quality peace and quiet, some time alone. But let's be realistic, there's not really ever peace and quiet in a big city, at least not the kind that I'm used to. So I'd just tune out the world, curl up by my heater and wish for sunny weather. Which never really came by the way. But you know what? The next day, or even just a few hours later, I'd leave my apartment again, turn the corner and see the Madeleine and just remember where I was and how amazing it is. And somehow the hole in my boot, the puddle I was standing in, the umbrella that just stabbed my eye... none of that mattered anymore. Because I'm in the most beautiful city in the world. No matter how much you may get frustrated with the French and their... quirks... you have to admit that Paris really is the most beautiful city. It's not just the famous monuments like the Eiffel Tower or Arc de Triomphe, but the city as a whole. The way it has managed to magically blend together centuries full of beauty, royalty, suffering, war, croissants, you name it, is just magical. And I mean Paris can pull off rain; hell, Paris manages to become even more beautiful in the rain.

So it seems fitting that my last days here were in the rain. I was sick. I got pushed around on the metro. I got stabbed with umbrellas, I got stared for taking pictures. People were rude to me. But it was perfect. This sounds incredibly cliché and you can make fun of me as much as you want (I mean most of you do anyway...) but there really is something about being in Paris, especially realizing you are about to leave Paris, that does make it feel like you're looking at the world through rose colored glasses. Which makes me happy. Even after almost 5 months of living here and seeing what Paris really is like, the magic is still there. I still stare at the Eiffel tower in awe for minutes on end, especially when it lights up and glitters at night, and the view of the Arc de Triomphe at sunset, with pink and blue clouds peeking out behind it, can still almost bring tears to my eyes it's so beautiful. So Paris, I have to say, you've still got it.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the other, more important, aspect of my time here, aside from just Paris being Paris. The people. Not the Parisians on the street I want to get into a baguette-fencing match with (it should totally be a thing here... just saying. I mean fencing with baguettes! Who wouldn't want to see that?!), but the friends who have gone on these adventures with me, and have made them that much more amazing. There's no point being in an amazing place if you don't have amazing people to share it with, and I was lucky enough to meet the greatest people here. So to all of you (because I know you read my blog!) I just want to say thank you! Thank you for making my time here amazing, for making me laugh when I just wanted to stab people with baguettes, for making me actually do work those few times I had stuff to do, and more importantly for distracting me from the studying part of being abroad as much as possible because if you hadn't, I wouldn't have nearly as many wonderful/ridiculous/humiliating/hilarious/overly unforgettable memories! I'm lucky to know each and every one of you. But if you don't come visit me, I will start photoshopping myself into every picture you put on Facebook ever until you do. Consider this fair warning.

So really, all I can say is Paris, it's been real. Actually I'm not sure about that. It stills feels pretty damn unreal. But you know what I mean. Or not. You're just a city. You have no idea what I'm talking about,  but that's probably just because I'm not writing in French. Sorry about that. But anyway, Paris I really will miss you and all the amazing memories (also the bread!), but I'm confident that I'll be back! Until then, au revoir! To everyone out there reading this, and who has been keeping up with me on here, thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to read about my life and I just hope I haven't bored you too much!

2 comments:

  1. This is your best blog post yet and that's saying something because there's no photo of Fluffy. haha.

    I hope you'll write about what it's like to come back and reintegrate into American life (and living at home too, I guess).

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made me cry, Mally. Because I can relate in many ways. BUT happy as hell to have you coming home. See you in about 3 hours!
    xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete